In the hours after Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, November 27th, 2008, the entire Lofgren family (Parker, age 39, Caroline age 42, Owen, age 10, and Sophie, age 8) died from carbon monoxide poisoning as they were staying in an Aspen rental home over the Thanksgiving break. They had won their stay at the home in a charity auction raising money for the children’s school. While fully equipped with a security system and fire system, the home did not have a carbon monoxide detector though it was required by Pitkin County law. A Certificate of Occupancy was issued for the home where the Lofgren family died despite the lack of a carbon monoxide detector and other violations of building code.

Since the preventable and tragic deaths of their loved ones, extended family of the Lofgrens and their good friends have worked tirelessly to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide. The Lofgren, Rittenour, and Feuerbach families have been involved in the passing of carbon monoxide legislation in Colorado, Oregon, Maine and Washington. This legislation has already saved lives in these states. In addition, they have worked with local fire departments to get carbon monoxide detectors in to as many homes as possible. The families are dedicated to making sure that this tragedy does not happen again, and that the public is educated about the dangers of carbon monoxide and can protect themselves and their loved ones from carbon monoxide.

To read more about what the families and friends have worked on, click here.


See All News Releases